Parrots are a tameable animal in the game that is tamed just like the ocelots. There is no clear advantage of taming a parrot other than it looks really cool sitting on your shoulder.
To tame a parrot you need some type of seed such as the melon, pumpkin or beetroot seed. You can do it with any kind just make sure you have a couple in hand i recommend having 10 even though you will only use likely 3-5.
Now you need to use the seeds on the parrot which can be done in a couple of ways depending on what system you are playing Minecraft on. Keep in mind you will not be able to do this on the Pocket Edition of Minecraft.
- For PC/Mac, right click on the parrot.
- For PS3 and PS4, press the L2 button on the PS controller.
- For Xbox 360 and Xbox One, press the LT button on the Xbox controller.
- For Wii U, press the ZL button on the gamepad.
- For Nintendo Switch, press the ZL button on the controller.
After you have used the seeds you will notice hearts going over the parrot you will need to feed the parrot seeds a couple of times for it to be fully tamed. Once it is tamed the parrot will take a seat on your character’s shoulder.