Minecraft has a host of animals to tame, farm, and breed. While we have covered Ocelots, Cats are a little bit unique. Now, while these Cats are no Pandas they still make great companions.
A cat can be tamed but first, you need to locate one you see a cat has interesting mechanics. Cats typically only spawn in Villages as strays, however, adult black cats can spawn in swamp huts. Furthermore, cats, unlike Wolves, can despawn making finding them a bit trickier.
Special Note: If you have Minecraft Bedrock Edition 50% of cats that spawn on a full moon will be black.
What You Need To Tame A Cat
Cat’s can be tamed with only one of two items.
- 1 Raw Cod or 1 Raw Salmon
To tame the cat simply hold out the fish walk towards the cat and use the following action commands to feed the cat.
- For Java Edition (PC/Mac), right click on the cat.
- For Pocket Edition (PE), you move your pointer over the cat and press the Tame button.
- For Xbox One, press the LT button on the Xbox controller.
- For PS4, press the L2 button on the PS controller.
- For Nintendo Switch, press the ZL button on the controller.
- For Windows 10 Edition, right click on the cat.
And there you go the cat will follow you and there are some interesting characteristics you should be aware of.
- Cats can be healed if you feed them uncooked fish.
- Tamed cats will give you gifts periodically which can be any of the following items.
- Rabbit’s foot
- Rabbit hide
- Rotten Flesh
- Raw Chicken
- Phantom membrane
- Stray cats will pursue and attach rabbits and turtles.
- Cats will protect you from creepers and phantoms both of which stay 16 blocks away from the cat. However, if you stray from your cat they will still pursue you.
- Cats are immune to fall damage.
What are your thoughts on cats do you prefer having them more than a wolf or ocelot let us know in the comments section below!