The latest film of the Fast and Furious franchise was expected to deliver big numbers and it has delivered. The eighth film in the series brought in $532.5 million passing Star Wars: The Force Awakens ($529 million) to set an all-time opening weekend high.
What might have helped The Fate Of The Furious was that it opened in major movie markets including China and Russia along with the US and UK. While similar films did not on their opening weekend.
Directed by Straight Outta Compton‘s F. Gary Gray, the movie stars Dwyane “The Rock” Johnson, Vin Diesel, Jason Statham, Charlize Theron, Michelle Rodriguez, Helen Mirren, and Kurt Russell.
Elsewhere at the box office, The Boss Baby brought in a further $15.5 million, helping it cross $100 million in the US alone. Disney’s Beauty and the Beast continues to make money, bringing in $13.6 million, while Smurfs: The Lost Village ($6.5 milllion) and Going in Style ($6.3 million) round out the top five.
The full April 14-16 US box office estimates can be seen below, as compiled by EW.
- The Fate of the Furious – $100.2 million
- The Boss Baby – $ 15.5 million
- Beauty and the Beast – $13.6 million
- Smurfs: The Lost Village – $6.5 million
- Going In Style – $6.3 million
- Gifted – $3 million
- Get Out – $2.9 million
- Power Rangers – $2.8 million
- The Case For Christ – $ 2.7 million
- Kong: Skull Island – $2.6 million